Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Day 10 - Luke 10:25-37

I like a fast pace. The more I multitask and check things off the more energized I feel. So when it comes to taking as much time as is needed to really stop and talk with someone (you know, not just have intersecting monologues) I sometimes want to cut it short and go about my tasks.
The thing that strikes me about this passage in Luke is that Jesus refers to two obviously religious people that decide not to stop and help. He didn't mention what good thing they might be going to do or why they needed it to be done right away, instead He demonstrates the better choice even from an unlikely source.
Today I spent more time than I thought counseling someone with regard to their marriage. I left that conversation thinking, “I’m behind and I just blew part of my day.”
I'm glad to have read this today. I wrestle with how to spend certain segments of the day. Do I stop the fast pace of good things that need to be done? What things should I stop for?
Stopping, I've learned, is what helps me find the better choice.
There are tasks that need to be accomplished (like this journal) that are good things. These things help deepen the well so that we are able to give when we need to.
When it really comes down to it, it's how we spend our day that tells us if we’re being used by God.
God help us to stop in our busy day and look for hurting people to help.

No comments: