Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ephesians 4:7, 11-16

Everyone is on one side of this or the other, right. I'll say it simply...either you're an apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor and teacher or you're one of God's people being prepared for service. This is not our choice, it is His gracious choice (vs7).
Biblically I wrestled with being a pastor because I know me. I know I am no more special than anyone I am serving with or anyone I teach or anyone I lead. But, we do have different job descriptions. This has taken me a while to come to, but I believe God wants me to prepare His people for works of service. My greatest "success" is seeing others succeed. To help someone learn to play piano gives me as much joy as playing it myself.
I remember my first ministry in Cincinnati. I certainly don't want to cast the entire ministry in a negative light, but this was an area to grow in: they had assumed they had hired someone to do the work for them. After all, they were getting older and needed someone to carry out their decisions day-to-day. So I busily went about doing what everyone was asking me to do. But I wrestled...God asks me to be a pastor and teacher. If I am a pastor and teacher, this is my job description: to prepare God's people for works of service. This is what God wants from me. And what does God want from you? According to Ephesians 4...to be prepared and to do works of service that build the body of Christ until we reach unity and become mature.
God, thank You for giving all of us purpose and mission. Help us as each part does our work to grow and be built up in love. Amen

No comments: