Sunday, February 24, 2008

Day 14 - Romans 12.9-16

Marks of the True Christian
9 Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. 11 Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord. 12 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. 13 Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality. 14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.
Last week I got to watch one of my favorite movies, Sargent York. One thing I love about the movie is Alvin York's crisis of faith that brought him to the place of becoming a true Christ-follower. In fact, at a later spot in the movie his pastor tells him that he has the "livin' kind of faith, not just the readin' kind" due to the fact that Alvin was going to take a stand against the government concerning his draft status because he would have to go to war (WW I), and killing was "agin the book". Of course he did decide to accept his draft into the army during WW I and the rest is literal history.

This short passage in Romans tells us about the "livin" kind of faith. How God expects us to live with other Christ-followers and with those that do not have a relationship with him yet. This reminds me of a few people I have known who zealously strive to follow all of these instructions. I am in awe of them, of their faith, their grace, their generosity and their love. Love for others, love for God, and love for all things good and true. They are truly humble but they draw others to themselves simply by their passion for following Christ and doing His Word.

I want to emulate them, to act in ways that please God. But then someone says something I don't like. Or someone persecutes me, and instead of blessing them as the passage says, I think of ways to get even. And who can be patient in tribulation???

I can. I can if I seek His grace, His love, His patience. It seems impossible for me. If you knew me well you might think the same thing. But God does the coolest things if you let Him.

God, please help me to be a model of you. To do those things you ask in this passage. Help me to be patient and loving, and constant in prayer.

No comments: