Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day 7- Matthew 25:14-30

For so long my entire spiritual life was based around what I didn't do. It was all about not sinning, which worked out for me; I was pretty good (or so I told myself) at living a plain, white-bread life.

I was so deluded! That's not what God was calling me to! Lately, every time I open the Bible, I'm impressed by the fact that being a Christ-follower means being a person of action, not inaction. For instance, in today's passage, why does the third servant, who "protects" the talent given by his master, get such a severe lashing from his boss? Because he was driven by fear and played it safe, while the other two went out and did something!

For so long I felt like I was a "good Christian" because of the way I lived, but in reality I was not measuring myself the way God would. Now I know a pious life does not earn me God's favor, because I don't need to earn that. Instead I ask the question, what am I doing to go out and make other people's lives better? Jesus in this parable was talking about the coming of the Kingdom of God-- what is going to bring that better than meeting people's spiritual and physical needs? In the passage each servant is given different resources to work with, just like we are; but each of us has enough to show God's love to someone around us.

No comments: