Thursday, February 21, 2008

Day 11 - Acts 1:8

This one verse has more and more become one of my favorites. One of the reasons is that Jesus gave His disciples (and us) such a clear strategy for reaching out. A simple yet profound strategy for figuring out where they should start. It works for us as well.

The starting point is where you are at. It makes so much sense yet I forget that the place to start making a difference is where I live; in my family, in my neighborhood; in my town. That's my Jerusalem.

The second place Jesus talks about is Judea and Samaria which were very different areas of ethnicity but essentially were just a little farther away from Jerusalem. For me, I think about somewhere else in the nation. Is there a mission I need to be involved with around the country? One of these missions I have been involved with in the past are trips to New Orleans. Soon after Katrina hit, me and 3 others from Suncrest went to New Orleans to deliver some relief items and pitch in where we could. That led to another trip just 3 months later which involved another church I had served with. On that trip several people caught a passion for serving that area and are still making trips down there. While my schedule has restricted me from going this year I love the fact that God has worked through that first trip to connect so many with the need that is still present in New Orleans.

The third place Jesus mentions is "the ends of the earth." I have recently (just last night, actually) been wondering where it is I need to serve on this level. I got a call from a former student of mine last night who told me about her upcoming trip to Mexico. It lit a fire in me again for getting out of the country. Don't get me wrong. I love our country, but I also like to get out of it so I can appreciate better what we have. More than that, I just love to connect with people who live very far from here and who live very different lives than I do. This is my prayer I think. Lord, where can I make a difference around the globe?

No comments: