Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day 20 – Hebrews 10:23-24

“Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.”

Being used by God to change lives… This is what runs through my mind as I read this passage. But first I need to claim the hope I have in Jesus because he is my inspiration, my reason for the hope. Then I call to mind the many times God has proved himself faithful in my life. Somehow that’s so easy when my life seems trouble-free, not so easy when difficulties are all around. In difficult times, I need to be still and remember His faithfulness.

For me, the most fun I have in leading the group ministry at Suncrest is encouraging group leaders to spur their groups on toward love and good deeds. Last summer, group ministry had a $100 challenge where each group received a $100 bill and was asked to use this money to make a difference in our community…. WOW, did they ever step up to the challenge! Not only did most groups build on the $100, but our community experienced creative acts of service, kindness, and the love of Jesus was spread farther than we could ever do as individuals. We even sent a deaf school from the Black Oak area to see Blue Man Group! That was their dream come true.

Spurring one another on is CONTAGIOUS! It’s been fun to watch groups continue to grow in this area. Many groups even did some service over Christmas, and others have already planned a service project for 2008!

The best way to do encourage others is by example. When my love and good deeds are known, they become an inspiration for others to do the same. Maybe we can find out how God would use us in the launch of our second campus? As more people sign up for the launch team – it really becomes contagious and exciting! Others become 'spurred on.'

We need to always look for opportunities to serve and be a light in a dark world… to be used by God to change lives!

No comments: