Sunday, March 2, 2008

Day 21 - 1 Peter 4:8-11

Hey, this is Kevin one last time. So glad I get to write the final scripture post for our 21 Day Challenge... I hope God has spoken to you about how you can make a difference, as you've meditated on His word.
"Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen."
As I read this passage today, two words came to mind:

1. Love- So many of our passages in this challenge have mentioned love! I feel God is helping me understand something very important: I should never serve out of a feeling of obligation, but rather as an overflow of my love for God and the people around me.

2. Confidence- Why be tentative about doing what God has made us to do? The "speak as if speaking the words of God" sentiment is a challenge to me personally; I don't have trouble believing things, or saying things, but I rarely come across as really believing what I am saying. If I am speaking to those around me out of the wisdom of the Word of God and a heart of love, then I need to deliver those words like they are truth... because, well, they are! The passage uses other examples, like hospitality and serving, but you get the idea: if we're doing what God wants us to do, we should do it boldly as an act of worship, giving him glory.

God, I see the way you designed me and I understand the passions you've given me, but still I am unsure of myself. Even as I look forward to the launch of the East Campus and my involvement there, I question whether I'm the right person to help our church family thrive in that area. Give me the strength I need, and confidence like what you have in me, Father. Help me push aside all fear, and instead be motivated by love. Thank you for giving us your word, so deep in wisdom.

No comments: